Rationale for save/nosave?

Moderator: jsachs

ronburk

Rationale for save/nosave?

Post by ronburk »

PWP 5.0 is great. The 2-tone and 3-tone transformations are worth the cost of the upgrade
by themselves. As a duffer, I could kinda sorta achieve those results manually, but have
so far found the new transformations do it much quicker and probably better. Thanks!

I was hopeful to find the new workflow features a boon too, but I'm just
not the target demographic for that feature. Since I'm (always) learning, I not only
want to redo decisions I made in this editing session, but often want to redo things
I did to an image a month ago (my never-ending project is trying to digitally restore
a large number of Korean War slides). Either I learn something new and see how I
could have tweaked a slide from 2 weeks ago much better, or I simply notice a flaw
that I did not notice before. Unfortunately, it seems like despite having a large effort
devoted to workflow/redo architecture, PWP still can't just let me save/load/single-step/replay
an arbitrary set of transformations. But on to the specific question! :-)

While using the 3-zone transformation, I soon ran into a situation where I wanted
to save it. No save option that I could find. Looked in the workflow box. Can't be
saved as part of a workflow. I understand why some xforms were left out of workflow,
but if I can manually save a brightness curve, why wouldn't I be able to manually
save a 3-zone transfer? Maybe I've answered my own question. Maybe the target
demographic never saves things to replay -- unless they're going to replay them
on a bunch of different images. Hmmm, but no save option on the Sharpen xform
either. I really can't figure out the design rationale for why some things can be
saved and others can't...
ksinkel

Re: Rationale for save/nosave?

Post by ksinkel »

Ron,

You are probably looking for the Save Workflow function in the Transformation dialog. It is actually located in the History window.

So you can save the Zone transformations, sharpen and nearly ever other transformation as a workflow. To save the current workflow, click the History tab in the browse window. Locate the workflow you want to save. Right-click on the last step of the workflow and select the Save as Workflow option.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color