Brightness curve tool tip

Moderator: jsachs

MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Brightness curve tool tip

Post by MikeG »

Tiniest of points, I know, but did cost me a bit of time today.

As shown below one of the 'curves' available in the Brightness Curve transform (and in the Color Curves transform) is 'Broken Line'. To me that suggests a line with breaks in it, somwhat akin to a dotted line. I certainly don't intrepret it as 'Straight Line', which is the terminology others have used when referring to use of this button.

Any support for this view?

Perhaps this should be under suggestions, but, I am seeking 'support'!

Mike.
Attachments
Broken line.jpg
Broken line.jpg (42.51 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Re: Brightness curve tool tip

Post by tomczak »

Mike,

'Broken Line' means that the control points are joined by the straight line segments. Since you have only two control points (the beginning and the end of the line) it results in one straight line. If you add additional control point(s), you can see the difference between the 'Broken Line' and the 'Smooth Curve' or 'Gamma Curve'.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Re: Brightness curve tool tip

Post by MikeG »

Maciej,

Thanks. I should have said that I had eventually figured it out. As I couldn't find a button to produce a 'straight line' curve, referenced in someone's post, I tried the 'broken line' button and realised that it was a misconception of the meaning of 'broken line' on my part. Perhaps, like many other terms, the meaning in the USA differs from that in other parts of the English speaking world. A well known example of this it 'rubber'. As in 'Anyone got a rubber?'!! I learned, long ago, to say 'eraser' when in the US!

Mike.