RAW recalculation

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

RAW recalculation

Post by tomczak »

I'm sure most RAW reculculation triggers in RAW dialog have solid programming reasons beyond my comprehension, but there is a few ideas that may make using dialog a little easier:

1) Auto Preview checkbox (like in most other transformations). For example, often a few options need to me adjusted simultaneously - Hue+Colour Temperature, Highlight Recovery+HLS colour space). The way it is, each change causes immediate Preview recalculation. Similarly, microadjustments of sliders work in RAW dialog too (i.e. shift-click on either side of the slider to move it by small amout). Shift-clicking, say, 3 times on one side of any RAW slider will cause RAW recalculations to be run 3 times back to back.

2) I would find having a 'Cancel' buttons in Adjusting Raw Image progress box useful - I often have to wait for RAW to recalculate preview after an inadvertent change.

3) The S&N 1:1 preview works fine. What I don't understand is that changing Large-->Small recalculates regular RAW preview (but not viceversa). Similarily switching to other tabs (e.g. Properties) in Lage causes recalculation. So does adjusting sharpness and noise (mostly visible only in 1:1). Perhaps a temporary buffer image could be an option?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

Re: RAW recalculation

Post by HanSch »

There have been no reactions yet to the proposals that Maciej made. I myself have similar wishes, although it might be difficult or impossible to implement.
I like the results of the RAW conversion, but trying different settings is time consuming. As a consequence, I mainly use default settings and do the rest of the processing on the tif-image, while changing the RAW settings possibly gives a better starting point.
Is everybody else happy with the current situation?

Han
bogumil

Post by bogumil »

No, definitely not. When the new version came out it was very iritating for me that I had to wait every time I nudged a little one of the settings knowing that I have to make slight changes to several of them. Now, I got somehow used to it, but definitely I'm not happy with it.

I thing that a "Preview" button RAW conversion window would save a lot of time.

Bogumil
Bogumil
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Post by MikeG »

I'm also in favour of the proposed changes to the RAW transform interface.

Mike.
bot

Post by bot »

I like the new RAW conversion and use it a lot. But, as HanSch, I do most of the final processing on the tiff image to avoid having to wait for every minor change to complete. I am not familiar with the technical implications, but agree with Bogumil that a preview button (without an auto checkbox) makes this conversion much easier to work with.

Ben Bot