Mask tool - undo

Moderator: jsachs

MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Mask tool - undo

Post by MikeG »

I need saving from myself - yet again!

This morning someone asked me to take a narrow boat from one photo and put it in front of a pub in another photo.
The narrow boat, dark in colour, was against a dark background and I was very pleased with myself when I remembered the Special Effect/Edge transforms. I used one of these in Lighten mode (Roberts, I think) to make the straight lines of the boat easier to see thus easier to use the Mask spline tool to pick the boat out from the background.
Where I shot myself in the foot was after hitting 'lower left Apply' and seeing that I'd missed little bits here and there. For some reason my instinctive action is to hit Undo expecting that all that will happen it that the red colouring will go away leaving the splined line visible for tweaking. Of course everything vanishes and I have to start again - after a short interval for cursing myself for making the same mistake AGAIN!

A 're-do' button would be nice...

Short of this, can anyone suggest how, short of a brain transplant, I can minimise the likelihood of repeating this time consuming error?

Mike.
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Mask tool - undo

Post by den »

When constructing complex masks... you can periodically do an upper-right Apply which generates a mask image at that point and clears the mask mapping from the image... then switch the Mask Tool to Combine Mask, select the just generated mask image, and lower-left Apply--Add mode.... make additions/changes to the mask... repeat as needed... in this manner you can continuously build upon the previously generated upper-right Apply-ed mask images...
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

Thanks, Den,

I'll give it a try later this morning.

Mike.
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

Not quite what I would prefer, but definitely a much better, and safer, method than I was using.

I think the reason I fall into the trap of hitting Undo and expecting only the 'red' to go away, is because this is sort of what happens when setting or adjusting a curve in the Mask Brightness Curve function. Hit Undo and the (most recent) 'red' goes away, but the adjusted curve is undisturbed.

Still think a 'Re-do' would be a very welcome feature.

Mike.