Learning The Ropes Of Image Masking

Moderator: jsachs

Darius

Learning The Ropes Of Image Masking

Post by Darius »

Hi, I'm a user of Picture Window Pro 7, and I am interested in being more involved with masking of images for selective processing of images. Is Picture Window the best tool for this or are there other 3rd party applications/Photoshop that offer more power/versatility in this regard? Are there any tutorials that I can use for practice? Can tutorials that are for Photoshop be adapted to be applicable with PWP? Thanks.
jsachs

Re: Learning The Ropes Of Image Masking

Post by jsachs »

Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

There also is Norman Koren's masking tutorial here:

http://www.normankoren.com/PWP_masks.html

Masks have evolved since then, but the basics still apply.

Masks are one of PWP's strong suits. There are several people in this forum that, I'm sure, will be glad to guide you through mask-making/using should you have questions.

Cheers!
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

It may be worth mentioning that there are several transformations in PWP that use complex masks implicitly (i.e. you don't need to make a mask by hand - it's done internally) to allow selective editing of an image. These include: Selective Correction, Remap, 2-Zone Adjustment, and 3-Zone Adjustment.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Darius,

There are indeed other programs for masking.

Some, like Photoshop, are image editors with a masking component, while others are specific to masking, like Topaz and (can't recall the name but another is made by OnOne Software). Each has its pros as well as cons. None, PWP included, will make a perfect mask with a single click, but require user knowledge and skill, only acquired through learning the program.

Having said that, I have used CS3 through 6, PWP and Topaz and I find I always fall back on PWP. It is extremely versatile and one can build a mask by simple hand drawing or through using either tone, colour, contrast etc. In fact I first started applying masking based on Den's 3 tone adjustments, before they became par tot the program. I personally find it the easiest program to use for this purpose, but it does require dedication and understanding to use. Once you get it though, it seems limitless in its ability. And you will always find help from a number of forum participants.

Marv
Darius

Post by Darius »

Thanks guys. Many of these pdf files and the links I've actually seen before. These seem to explain the tools usage, but what I was seeking are actual examples that I can follow and get some experience that way. Any recommendation?
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

Darius...

Apparently, message board/written tutorials are not your favored learning venues...

1) MarkT previously posted: ..."Since you asked, I made a couple of video tutorials a few years ago (PWP ver 4) that may also serve as examples: http://www.picturetheweb.com/ptw/downlo ... nloads.htm (see "Mask Basics" and "Composite")"...

2) you might do an old and new message board search for: "masks" and/or "masking"

3) revisit the already suggested links/pdfs... ...there are examples presented. Surely, you have in your own library similar type images that you could use when following the suggested steps.

4) Should you find yourself in Vancouver, BC Canada or Bellingham, WA USA, would be glad to spend an afternoon with you but lunch is on you!

...den...
birch_bay at hotmail o com
Darius

Post by Darius »

Marv, a question for you - you mention the Topaz software, and I was just looking at their site. Is this software standalone or is it plugins? Do you have the whole suite or just the masking part of it? I may try it out as the free trial for myself. What are some of the strong points of PWP that outshine Topaz & vice versa? Is this Topaz software worth the $379 price, and if it is, who would it be good for? Thanks!
tonygamble

Post by tonygamble »

I bought the full suite of Topaz for about seventy pounds at Focus about four years ago.

I tried bits of it and have never bothered to use it for real.

It seemed that almost everything the components did could be done just as well, or better, in PWP. Plus, one only has to say 'if only' on this forum, and one of the wizards would come up with a way of getting the result in PWP.

Even ignoring the cost I have a feeling that spending more time learning the ins and outs of PWP is a better investment.

I had my version as a standalone - or standing within a free front end. Can't remember but I have had Photoshop on my PC in my life.

Tony
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Darius,

My copy of Topaz ReMask was a plug-in (picked it up a couple years ago). If I recall correctly, it plugs in to Photoshop and Paint Shop.
It is available by itself for around $70 or if you purchase the entire Topaz suite, you get a "deal" price (which is the price you quoted, I believe).

Topaz, and any other masking program/component, including PWP, differentiate what is to be masked from the rest of an image (unless hand-drawn manually) by the difference in tone/colour etc (very basic explanation). With Topaz, you hand-draw a perimeter around the object you wish masked and the software identifies a more focussed delineation by the difference in tone/colour etc. If you try to mask a black square against a white background, things turn out pretty good. However, like this morning for me when I tried to mask out a flower against a greyish background, parts of the flowers edge were the same greyish tone so PWP "over masked" and "under masked" in various areas. I, consequently had to pretty up the mask by hand and eye.

It will depend on how finicky you are as to whether Topaz will be your method of choice. For the average quick not too finicky user, Topaz will do 80 - 90 % on its own. However, I am very finicky and when I zoom in past 1:1, I always have to hand finesse things, regardless of program.

I think (personal opinion, of course) that PWP can perform as well as or better than any masking program, stand-a-lone or plug-in, in the hands of a capable user. It is fast and so flexible and has so many methods to choose from to get a mask. I have been using it for masking, extensively for years and I still find new/better methods in its masking component.

As Tony and others have said, you really need to give it a try (not just for one or two efforts but really give it a go). There will always be help from this forum and you can always give me or others a shout via PM for personal assistance, if you wish.

Marv