feature request : Skip image in batch processing

Moderator: jsachs

pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

feature request : Skip image in batch processing

Post by pierrelabreche »

Context
In the current version of PWP8, 8.0.439, it is possible to terminate the batch process.
Sometimes I notice at a breakpoint that I inadvertently added an uninteresting file in the input list, or I realize that an image is not worth pursuing modifications and saving a new version.

Feature request
A new user control would bypass further processing of the current file and skip to the next file in the input list.

Suggestion
In the "terminate batch" control panel, when stopped at a breakpoint, a new control for skipping further transformations of the current image, and removing the current image from the input list.
jsachs

Re: feature request : Skip image in batch processing

Post by jsachs »

I looked at this a while ago when someone else suggested it, but it looked complicated to implement.

An easy way to do what you are talking about is to terminate the batch job, re-open the File Open, position the red dot just past the file you want to skip, and then run the batch job again. It will restart from the position of the red dot, continue to the end and then stop.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

Re: feature request : Skip image in batch processing

Post by pierrelabreche »

jsachs wrote: June 30th, 2024, 3:34 pm I looked at this a while ago when someone else suggested it, but it looked complicated to implement.

An easy way to do what you are talking about is to terminate the batch job, re-open the File Open, position the red dot just past the file you want to skip, and then run the batch job again. It will restart from the position of the red dot, continue to the end and then stop.
Thanks for your suggestion, it is what I have been doing so far. Often I take the opportunity to remove the already processed files from the list.

Suggestion for a simple implementation
I hope this suggestion is not too complicated:
  • Consider the introduction of a Global Bypass flag in PWP.
  • When the uses requests to skip a file form the input list, PWP sets the Global Bypass flag and resumes processing
  • The Global Bypass flag effectively overrides the bypass state of individual Transformations except "File Open", causing all downstream transformations to be bypassed.
  • Upon opening the next file in the File Open transformation, PWP resets the Global Bypass flag.
Removing the file from the input list is a a nice to have ; it could be a consideration for future versions of PWP.