problem with DNG files

Moderator: jsachs

johnp
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 90D

problem with DNG files

Post by johnp »

I am seeing a problem trying to open a .dng file. At first I thought it was corrupted, but various other tools are able to open it, for example Thunderbird. PWP complains that it is a corrupted file.

I am running Win8.

I have attached the file in a zip archive since the message board appears to not like adding .dng files.

My best guess right now is that the file uses compression and that the PWP may not like it. I have other .dng files that are *much* larger (24MB vs this files 145KB) and they seem to work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

John P
Attachments
dng_bad.zip
(144.76 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
jsachs

Re: problem with DNG files

Post by jsachs »

DNG files are processed as raw files. For this, PWP uses LibRaw.dll which is an open source library built on dcraw. There are many different variants of DNG and some programs read some and not others. Since any compatibility issues are buried in third party code, there is not much I can say about what the problem is or how to get around it. I tried it here and got an error trying to open it while Photoshop (which uses totally different raw code) could open it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
johnp
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 90D

Re: problem with DNG files

Post by johnp »

Here's what I ended up doing...
I emailed the picture to myself, then opened it via Thunderbird. From there I was able to copy it to the
clipboard and paste it into PWP for processing.

John P