'SNS-HDR Lite' and PWP

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

'SNS-HDR Lite' and PWP

Post by den »

Sebastian Nibisz has released v1.3.6 for his freeware SNS-HDR Lite program that provides de-ghosting and 'Presets' that were only previously available in the Pro and Home program versions.
SNS-HDR-Lite_v136.jpg
SNS-HDR-Lite_v136.jpg (25.91 KiB) Viewed 12047 times
There is also significantly improved reductions for halos and noise that normally gets tone-mapped into high-contrast edges and large low-contrast image areas [sky/clouds].

The program can be accessed once installed from PWP's File Open dialog if the SNS-HDR Lite desk top program icon is visible [requires the PWP5 program window to be 'Restore Down' rather than 'Maximize'] by checking the File Open image file [or files] icon(s), then dragging/dropping it/them on the SNS-HDR Lite desk top icon. When the program completes, it will place a resulting image version icon in the File Open dialog which then can be checked/opened into PWP's working space... ie, the program almost acting as if it were a transform.

While you can use this program for a RAW converter [single or multiple exposure image blender], there may be image overall pixel dimension differences between the resulting image and a PWP RAW conversion image... so for 1:1 Registration, off-set cropping may be required before attempting Composite-Blending with PWP produced image versions.

I like to use the program as a 16-bit [48-bit color] tone-mapper by letting it tone-map process a single PWP RAW conversion 16-bit tiff image... if the tone-mapped image version is too 'dramatic'... mellow it to preferences with Composite-Blend...
IMG_0238_SNS-HDR_Lite_v136_default_tone-map.jpg
IMG_0238_SNS-HDR_Lite_v136_default_tone-map.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 12027 times
See my posting here: http://www.dl-c.com/board/viewtopic.php ... 1432#p1432 for the program download [7.8MB] web page link; the needed SNS-HDR Lite desk top icon 'Properties' format to execute the new available 'Options'; and additional observations regarding this program's use.
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Re: 'SNS-HDR Lite' and PWP

Post by MikeG »

Thanks for posting such a comprehensive guide, Den. I'll really enjoy trying it out.
Mike.
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

Den,
Followed your procedure without a problem. As I happen to be in an insect-photographing-phase at the moment I tried it on a photo of a butterfly against an out of focus background using a single 3x16 bit tiff file.
Unsurprisingly it 'wrecked' the background also it was a little too dramatic with the butterfly. I masked the butterfly and used composite blend at about 50% and got a very satisfactory result. Couldn't see any halos or artefacts.
Tried another similar image with similar results.
Only problem is one that you've already highlight - the time the program takes. My 4,000x3,000 tiffs took 3 minutes each.

No doubt the sample that you posted is a much more appropriate image for this process.

Mike.
den

Post by den »

MikeG... Thanks for your comments.

(1) tone mapping seems to be most effective where there are numerous histogram peaks scattered through the 0 to 100% [0 to 255] tone range which are typically present in nature landscape type images with lots of small detail rather than portrait type images where the main subject comprises most of the in-frame image area and has a single bell shaped histogram peak around the the 50% [128] tone.

(2) the time for this program to process really is short compared to the time needed to manually tone-map using 3Tone Range Procedures and Masks [http://www.ncplus.net/~birchbay/3tone/3tone.htm] to get nearly the same result... or use the HSV color space PWP5 2/3 Zone Adjustment transforms... but it is not for those with older computer systems and the manual methods are adequate if one is adept... I will usually play a game or two of Solitare while waiting for a result! ... or refill my coffee cup!

(3) just as with any image editing, one should be alert to the possiblities of 1:1 Cloning preferential image areas and/or preferential Amount Composite-Blending with or without a mask of one image version into/with another... as editing results may only be preferential for specific image areas rather than global for the whole image.

(4) I have not yet explored alternate 'Presets', other than the "-default" preset, then 1:1 Cloning and/or Composite-Blending the result with other image versions. ...But one could set up several SNS-HDR Lite application desk top icons, one for each of the 'Presets': "-default"; "-dramatic"; "-interior"; "-ldr" [low dynamic range]; "-natural"; "-neutral"; "-night"; and "-soft"...

For example, my current desk top application icon Target Property is:
"C:\Program Files\SNS-HDR Lite\SNS-HDR.exe" -srgb -x1 -default -tiff16
den

Post by den »

Noticing that past attachments/illustration images no longer appear in the message board threads [at least with my browser, IE8] and that things are a bit slow...

...I decided to 'bump' this thread with additional comments and a link to the image that was used for illustration purposes.

SNS-HDR Lite's current version is 1.3.8 with improved mid-tones.

When simulating virtual multiple exposures with one image, use "-da" and "-dd" in the desk top appplication icon Target Properties to disable 'alignment' and 'de-ghosting'. This will slightly decrease the time needed for processing but more importantly, will prevent 1:1 registration shifts that sometimes occurs when using the blending function with multiple image versions of a single image.

I also found that channel substituting the H and S of the base image with the HDR image version's H and S, will generally provide better colors, perhaps lessening needed changes to reach preferences.

After/Before comparison image link: http://www.ncplus.net/~birchbay/11/IMAG ... _11_98.htm
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

I'll see if I can figure out why the image links are not working.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

Thanks for the update, Den.

I've been using SNS-HDR lite off and on for single images, generally with pretty good results straight off the bat.

Today, for the first time, I used it to auto align and blend two hand held exposures. I was quite surprised that the alignment worked. The blending was very satisfactory, too. Of course, for this job I used an SNS-HDR icon WITHOUT the -da command!

Mike.
cliff

Post by cliff »

After/Before comparison image link: http://www.ncplus.net/~birchbay/11/IMAG ... _11_98.htm
The sky in the picture of the tugboat is amazing, and thanks for the helpful information. I checked the sns-hdr web site and version 1.3.9 was released a few days ago.

Cliff
Cliff Fiess Photography
http://www.cfphoto.com
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

Below is the SNS-HDR Lite output from 2 handheld shots. SNS-HDR Lite can handle RAW files directly but I find it better to do RAW conversion first to take care of noise in the underexposed shot(s) especially.
BTW no-one was injured in the making of this photograph!
And, it is NOT my car, and NOT my house, but near where I live.
Mike.
1.JPG
den

Post by den »

MikeG... an extraordinary way to park one's car!!! Glad no one was hurt and that you do not have to file an insurance claim. Like you, when using SNS-HDR Lite, I tend to use it with previously RAW converted images as the program's micro-contrast sharpening can greatly increase the contrast of existing noise that at less aggressive tone-mapping settings does not become that obvious.

FYI all... the current SNS-HDR Lite version is now 1.3.12 as of 4 Apr 2011.

I know that I started this thread but I would like to point out that PWP's conversion, transforms, and tools have great potential as well to produce moderately dramatic tone-mapped images... a bit more manually intensive [SNS-HDR Lite has no user control other than the command line settings] perhaps but offering the opprotunity to exercise one's artistic sense to augment photo realism...

...After/Before comparison image link: http://www.ncplus.net/~birchbay/11/IMAG ... _11_96.htm
(Cliff... another cloud image using only PWP! :-)