bug in masks blur control

Moderator: jsachs

johnp
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 90D

bug in masks blur control

Post by johnp »

Every once in a while I see a problem when creating a mask. I will do some mask creation operations, then try to do a blur. The slider comes up at a radius of 50, but will not allow me to adjust it. Many times it works just fine, but sometimes it fails. Attached is a workspace script that seems to show the issue.

The file I have attached has an extension of .txt to allow me to add it. It should be renamed .workspace!

When you execute the workspace, it will require you to specify an image name. Once it is loaded, re-open the 'masks' step, then
re-open the only mask there. Then try the blur operation. Hopefully, it will show the problem.

I used Stepchart_large_bw2.jpg as the image and that seems to show the issue.

Thanks!

John P
Attachments
mask_bug.txt
(66.57 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
johnp

Re: bug in masks blur control

Post by johnp »

Another aspect to the bug...

After you have re-opened the mask to try the blur, you should see that it is stuck. Now click the 'gear' icon below the right side of the slider and then click 'reset' This causes a Windows message to pop up saying that PWP has stopped working,

NOTE I'm running Windows 8, so this not not happen in a newer and ?better? version of Windows.

John P
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I am not seeing this problem here, but it might be caused by running out of memory since it appears you may be creating a complicated mask in many steps, each of which creates a copy of the mask. For the next release, I added a line to the bottom of the Help/About Picture Window Pro dialog box that indicates the approximate amount of physical memory currently in use. If this gets near 100%, you are going to see performance degradation -- if you don't have virtual memory allocated, you will be out of memory.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
johnp

Post by johnp »

I repeated my experiment with the Windows Resource Monitor running. It shows plenty of free memory when I run the experiment, about 11 GB.

As another experiment, I started a fresh "Masks" command below the exiting one - I make a simple freehand mask, then try the 'blur' button and that works.

I then killed that image and restarted the script again with the test image. I opened the existing mask transform, then, instead of re-editing the previous mask I created, I started a new mask. Again, I did a freehand area and again the blur worked. If I then re-opened the original mask, the blur command doesn't work. So it looks like it's related to re-opening a previously created mask.

Just to be clear, the blur command I'm talking about is the fuzzy ball that is the 7th from the left.

I guess I'll just live with the problem for now.

Thanks!

John P
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Still can't make it fail here.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color