Resize Transformation PWP4 versus PWP5

Moderator: jsachs

Winfried

Resize Transformation PWP4 versus PWP5

Post by Winfried »

Maybe I overlook some function within the PWP5 Resize Transformation, but what is the equivalent for this:
Preserve File Size and Propotions
Preserve File Size and Propotions
Screen-pwp4-001-1-1-1-1.JPG (31.48 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
I want to "resize" to a specific size (cm or inch) without resampling by specifying the new size in cm/inch.

Winfried
FAllen

Re: Resize Transformation PWP4 versus PWP5

Post by FAllen »

I had the same question. Then someone told me that everything is under Operation window on the Resize transformation. Click on the arrow next to Operation and then select what you want to do. I found the old format easier for me to use, but this gets the job done.
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

Of course, the new resize transformation is powerfull, but I think, that the "preserve filesize and proportion" is missing.
The different options.
The different options.
PWP-Resize-01-1.JPG (35.66 KiB) Viewed 6701 times
With none of the operations you can change the width/height in cm/inch to a given value,
keep the number of pixels and let PWP recalculate the dpi-value.

Just resetting the dpi works fine. But I cannot specify Width/Heigh here.
PWP-Resize-02-1.JPG
PWP-Resize-02-1.JPG (35.06 KiB) Viewed 6699 times
Winfried
Staylor2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic Lumix G9

Post by Staylor2 »

If I am understanding this, what you are wanting to do is set the width to a given value, keep the proportions the same, keep the file size the same, and allow the dpi to be recalculated. This is, in effect, a non-operation. If you really aren't changing the bits if the file, then there is no need to do the operation. The ending print size is strictly a function of the settings you use when you print it. The dpi will then be an inverse function of how big you make the print. Does this make sense? With a given file, with a fixed number of pixels, you can call the linear dimensions anything you want and the dpi calculation will always come out to some arbitrary value to correspond. But the actual file doesn't change. If, on the other hand, you change the dimensions and ask that the dpi remains the same, or set the dpi to some desired value, then the number of pixels in the file will change and the file size will change.
Steve
Steve Taylor
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

Yes, I know all the math behind this. An diagital image has no width or height in cm or inch, just pixels.
So the dpi-value does not mean anything.
It is just a scaling factor for printing.
For displaying the image on a screen this value is ignore,
but many printing dialogs detemine a default printing size by using this dpi-value: print to original size, scale to image dimensions
Have a look at the PWP5 print dialog:
PWP pritn dialog
PWP pritn dialog
Print-dialog-01.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
Winfried
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

The 'dpi' value also has 'political' connotations: editors and printers often require this value to be 300 - explaining that it is an arbitrary factor relating pixel and physical print dimensions is often futile, in my experience. This may result in over-large files, but it's often easier to prepare the image so that it prints right, but it also has the dpi tag set to 300, than to fight the convention.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

To set resolution to a different value without resampling the image use the operation "Reset resolution only" It is the last one in the list of operations in the Resize dialog. The image pixel dimensions will stay the same, the image inch or cm dimensions will change to compensate for the changed resolution..

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

With resizing resolution only, one can indeed set the physical print dimensions to any value, without resampling, but by trial and error. In PWP 3.5-4 this could have been done directly by Preserving File Size and Proportions and setting the physical Width and Height to a desired value - the pixel size stayed constant and the dpi-resolution adjusted to match the other two.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com