Colour Picker and entering exact values

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Colour Picker and entering exact values

Post by tomczak »

I think I developed a personal issue with the colour picker. Even when the RGB values are switched to 0..255 integers in Options, entering the exact values is really difficult. Not only the values are rounded? down as others are entered, but also there is a ~1 second opportunity window to enter an e.g. 3-digit value, which I end up frequently missing and which makes the values revert to the previous state. Interesingly (but it's a quite difficult to do precisely) it is possible to obtaint any combination of RGB values by mouse-positioning the colour in the hexacone. What's at play? Cheers.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Re: Colour Picker and entering exact values

Post by jsachs »

Internally the color picker uses HSV so values are converted from RGB to HSV and back which can produce slight roundoff.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Colour Picker and entering exact values

Post by den »

Jonathan...

Since the Color Picker dialogues and their color hexagons/calculations are in the HSV color space, would it be more intuitive to have the HSV color space values appear as the default in the the lower left number entries rather than RGB values?

I consistently find myself switching to the HSV color space in these dialogues and would find it very useful to either have these dialogues remember the last color space model selection as does the Readout Tool or as suggested above, default to the HSV color space model.