Simulating Camera styles/film types in RAW with Macbeth

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Simulating Camera styles/film types in RAW with Macbeth

Post by tomczak »

I wonder if others would be interested in colaborating on it.

The idea is this: I'm having trouble with colour gamut of processed RAW images; either I don't like the colours or, when I correct them to my liking, it's not automated and I have hard time keeping the consistency. So I figured that perhaps a Macbeth chart along with Match Reference (or maybe Remap) used as widget could be used. A single workflow could be made once, and all the other RAW from the same camera and processed the same way would be corrected then automatically (to a particular colour gamut).

I thought of two uses: one is matching RAW colours to in-camera processed JPGs /styles (a lot of photographers seem to ask about it); the other would be trying to match RAW to the feel of scans from films like Velvia or Provia (if Jonathan still have calibrated scans of Macbeth used in the white paper).

So far I've done some experiments along these lines with Macbeth RAW+JPG pairs out of camera with some success, but I haven't work out the details yet. Cheers!
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Re: Simulating Camera styles/film types in RAW with Macbeth

Post by MikeG »

Maciej,

I'm prettty sure that your photographic skills are severals levels of sophistication above mine, but one of the issues that you mentioned does resonate with me.
I'm using a Panasonic G1 and normally shoot RAW + high quality jpeg.
Increasinly I'm just using the jpeg output because the camera does lens corrections and a good colour job in the jpeg processing.
However I do use RAW if I'm cropping heavily, or the exposure needs more that just a slight 'tweak'. When I do convert RAW then I struggle a bit with the colour balancing.

If you think that I can help, please let me know how.
The last thing I want is to be more hindrance than help so I won't be offended in the slightest if your reply is 'Thanks, but, no thanks.'

Mike.
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Re: Simulating Camera styles/film types in RAW with Macbeth

Post by tomczak »

Mike,

Thanks, that would be great try if what I think may work at your end and for the different RAW files that I use. Please give me a couple of days to design it first and I'll get back to you. Cheers!
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com