Replacing Complex Tone/Color Backgrounds

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Replacing Complex Tone/Color Backgrounds

Post by den »

My apologies for posting this topic.

Initial results using MWarren's "pineapple_bkg" and "background_only" image set showed the promise of using macro tool methods for masking, reducing to near 0, manual brush Adds/Subtracts or other extraordinary means to obtain main subject mask edges...

His image set works well for the stated premise because there is "no" mutual transference of tone/color from the background into the main subject and vice versa... essentially a special case that does not normally exist for 'real life' image sets.

As an alternative to extracting a main subject from a complex background... I tend to use lens 'Depth of Field' considerations when taking the 'shot'... and in post-processing, 'vignette', to draw subconscious focus to the main subject... leaving the background in place providing 'context' for the main subject but de-emphasized.

If of interest...
...two recently post-processed after/before 'DOF-vignette'-ing examples are here: http://www.ncplus.net/~birchbay/10/IMAG ... 10_95a.htm...
...and a tutorial here: http://www.ncplus.net/~birchbay/tutoria ... GradOL.htm illustrated with one of "couman"'s images may also be of guidance.
couman

Post by couman »

Den, I think we all recognize that the absolute difference method will not work equally well for all images. Still, it is something that may be worth storing "in the back corner of the toolbox".

BTW, I like the shot and the processing for the coons playing in the yard. The processing is subtle, but very effective.
Bob Coutant
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Post by MikeG »

Den,

Love the coons! And the sutle vignetting treatment. I sometime use a similar technique, though generally backwards. That is I draw inside the subject using the spline tool and blur to create the mask. Adjust the subject to taste and then invert the mask to 'tune' the background.
I find the spline tool very handy 'cos my free hand skills are non-existent.
Next appropriate subject I'll try your way round - but probably with the spline tool!

Mike.