use of EXIF info for RAW processing

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Re: use of EXIF info for RAW processing

Post by tomczak »

Thanks Kiril,

I guess what I was hoping for is to to be able apply a specific workflow (actually RAW settings only) to a RAW file, but open it in a RAW dialog, rather then bypassing it. RAW already has a configureable camera settings and default RAW settings, but this way one could save and reapply any settings in the RAW dialog (and then change them as appropriate in the dialog).

Cheers.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Maybe the most elegant and flexible way would be a widget in the workflow with more then one outputs which reads the EXIF and determins then which output to feed, like a IF - Structure: IF ISO = 100 THEN .... , IF ISO = 200 THEN .... , IF Lens = 1,8 /50 THEN ....
So everyone could build his or hers own Structures.
Of course this would require a more complew workflow structure, but if i recall right, there was some discussion about creating Masks on the fly in Workflow which would be a similar problem with multiple layers in Workflow.
Or maybe it would be easier to implement with a text file that calls the appropriate workflows, like a script.
IF ISO = 100 AND LENS = 1,8 /50 THEN OPEN appropiate.wfl

Just some thoughts of mine
Dieter Mayr
daviddorn

Post by daviddorn »

With respect to noise reduction, Noise Ninja can use the Exif ISO data to apply a custom noise profile for a specifc camera and ISO rating. The program provides a test chart which is photographed and the resulting image used by the program to generate the profile.

Could not a similar process be applied RAW processing?
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Here is a belated reply to Maciej posting earlier in this thread:

"I guess what I was hoping for is to to be able apply a specific workflow (actually RAW settings only) to a RAW file, but open it in a RAW dialog, rather then bypassing it. RAW already has a configureable camera settings and default RAW settings, but this way one could save and reapply any settings in the RAW dialog (and then change them as appropriate in the dialog)."

You can actually set the raw dialog to any previously saved workflow file. Here is the procedure:
1. Open the desired raw image in the raw dialog.
2. Display the Raw Options menu and select 'Reset to Workflow file'. The File dialog is displayed.
3. Choose any workflow file which contains a Raw widget.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color