PWP goes into a cpu-loop

Moderator: jsachs

Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

PWP goes into a cpu-loop

Post by Winfried »

Since I upgrated my "old" Windows 7 system to Windows 10, I keep a critical eye on how the system behaves.
I found that as soon as I minimize PWP the CPU takes all the cpu of one thread (4 core, 8 threads), i.e. 12.5 %.
Maximizing PWP reduces the cpu to zero.
Any idea why PWP behaves like this?
Taskmanager.jpg
Taskmanager.jpg (122.85 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
jsachs

Re: PWP goes into a cpu-loop

Post by jsachs »

I can't think of any reason PWP should use more CPU time when minimized. The only things it does in its idle time is to check once per second if an image has been copied to the clipboard or if someone has launched it with a new file in its command line. Since it does these same tasks when not minimized, I don't see how it can make a difference.

I can confirm that on may computer the CPU time does increase when I minimize the program, although it only goes up to about 6% here, probably because I have a faster computer.

In any case, I will try to investigate.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

FYI and perhaps this is also related: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1865&hilit=cpu
Inadvertently left the PWP8 Full Screen display mode [Ctrl-F] on while getting a cup of coffee. Upon return, the core cooling fan was obviously at a high rpm.

Subsequent investigation indicated a significant rise in processor core temperature starts if the Full Screen display is left on for a minute or more. Not sure but believe the Desk Top Mgr is using high CPU.
This still occurs with the most recent PWP8 version and msi... ...no known malware detected with the scans noted in the referenced thread post...

...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

According to Google, it appears PWP is far from the only program that behaves this way, so my guess is that it is probably some quirk of Windows or the graphics processor. No one seems to have figured out what is going on so far that I have seen.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color