Installation question

Moderator: jsachs

Jo Irps
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D850, Nikon Z7

Installation question

Post by Jo Irps »

Long time PWP user here, since 3.5. Maybe have a stupid question, but here it is:
Trying now to install PWP8, downloaded the installer, but where is the .exe file to run and install the application with icon etc to have it permantly under programs? (Winows 7, 64)
Thanks in advance
jsachs

Re: Installation question

Post by jsachs »

You double click the .msi file. (stands for MicroSoft Installer).
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Jo Irps

Post by Jo Irps »

Yes I did Run the .msi file, pwp8 opened, could work with it, but after I closed pwp8, I could not go back into it, there was no icon and no file unter program files. what do i do wrong?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Not sure why it would do that -- normally it creates a desktop icon.

In any case, the executable is located in the folder: C:\Program Files\Digital Light & Color\Picture Window Pro 8. If you drag the exe file to your desktop using the right mouse button, when you release it you should get a popup menu. Click "Create shortcuts here". Or, you could double click the exe file to launch it and, while it is still running, then pin it to the task bar by right-clicking on its item on the task bar and then selecting Pin to Task Bar from the popup menu.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Jo Irps

Post by Jo Irps »

I think I know the problem. My download only contained 131 MB. I did it several times withe the same result. I talked to a fellow who downloaded PWP8 a few days ago and he got 237 MB or so. He tried just now to download it again to see how many MB's he's got, and he got also 131 Mb.
So we assume, there is something going on with the download today and files are mising.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

No, there is nothing missing -- I was recently able to remove a large library from the install that was no longer needed.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Jo Irps

Post by Jo Irps »

Thanks sofar, but after installing Picture Windows Pro 8 does not even show up in Prgramm Files, still only my Picture Windos Pro 7. There must be something missing in the download.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

What version of Windows are you using?

If it is installing and running even once, the exe file must be somewhere.

In the Control Panel under Programs and Features does Picture Window Pro 8 show up in the list of installed programs?

The file size of the msi file should be: 137,658,368 bytes -- you can check by right clicking on the file and selecting Properties.

I just tried downloading it and installing it here and it worked OK.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Jo Irps

Post by Jo Irps »

Sorry if this issue drags on.
In the control panel under programs and features Picture Windows Pro does not show up, only Picture Windows Pro 7.
The downloaded file size in Properties shows the correct amount: 131 MB (137,658,368 bytes).
I use Windows 7, 64
My friend send me his download from the the 18th this week, that did not install either.
So it must be something on my side.
Thanks very much for your help. Fortunately I can continue to use PWP7.
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

Do not remember Win7 specifics... ...but can you try running the *.msi file with "Run as administrator" permission?

Do you get any kind of warning that asks "Allow this program to make system changes: Yes or No" after left clicking on the *.msi file? This would possibly appear as a pop-up dialog after a few seconds and perhaps under any other open desktop dialogs.

If you do a right mouse click on the *.msi file, do any of the drop down choices say "Run as administrator" or something similar? If so, select it.

Edit01: Right click on the *msi.file, left click on "Properties" from the drop downs, select perhaps a "Permissions or Security" tab and change its setting so that *.msi can make system changes.

If the *.msi file executes, is the "Open Picture Window Pro" box checked before selecting "Finish" on the last dialog?

...den...