Why must Frame transform force conversion to working colorspace?

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Why must Frame transform force conversion to working colorspace?

Post by Charles2 »

By way of exception I wanted to frame and print an sRGB image. I loaded it into PWP8 without conversion to the working color space, Adobe RGB. When I launched the Frame transformation, it automatically converted the image to Adobe RGB - and it is easy to miss that the conversion happens.

A warning about frame and mat colors not being true would be fine, but why must the user not be allowed to Frame an sRGB image? At the least, confine the user to grayscale frames and mats and tell her so.
jsachs

Re: Why must Frame transform force conversion to working colorspace?

Post by jsachs »

Frame can potentially combine a number of different images such as images for a custom frame or custom mat textures along with the input image. In order to do this properly, it converts all the images to the working color space so they are consistent.

There are two possible workarounds for this if you want the results to be in something other than the working color space:

1) Temporarily change your working color space to sRGB. You can have multiple Color Management settings and save one for sRGB work as well as your usual Adobe RGB version, so it is easy to switch back and forth. (I recommend this option)

or

2) Convert the output image to sRGB after framing it or use the FIle/Export command to save it and convert to sRGB as it saves the image.

The same thing happens with Composite, Layout, Stack Images, and any other transformation that potentially combines images in different color spaces.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

jsachs wrote: March 28th, 2019, 8:46 pm
1) Temporarily change your working color space to sRGB. You can have multiple Color Management settings and save one for sRGB work as well as your usual Adobe RGB version, so it is easy to switch back and forth. (I recommend this option)

The same thing happens with Composite, Layout, Stack Images, and any other transformation that potentially combines images in different color spaces.
Fair enough. This was about the third time I got caught up in the situation. Only this last time did I happen to see the quick "Converting..." notification when the transformation opened. A warning dialog with a suggestion to change one's working space would be helpful when these transformations must convert.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I hear you.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color