use of EXIF info for RAW processing

Moderator: jsachs

HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

use of EXIF info for RAW processing

Post by HanSch »

I just returned from my summer holiday with a lot of raw images to process. I use different noise settings for high and low ISO images in PWP's raw-converter (I didn't investigate the "bad pixels" for different ISO yet, but probably the bad pixel file will change with the ISO setting as well).
In a raw-processing workflow it would be a nice feature if the ISO setting would be read from the exif information and used for different settings, e.g. in different "camera defaults" that are loaded depending on the camera ISO setting. Would something like this be possible in a future release, and are more users interested in such a feature?
A good intermediate solution would be an application that can sort the image files on ISO setting from the exif info. Anyone aware of such an application?
ksinkel

Re: use of EXIF info for RAW processing

Post by ksinkel »

To make settings dependent on exif data is an interesting idea that bears further exploration. Lens corrections would clearly benefit from such a feature. Can anyone think of other parameters that would be really helped by such a feature?

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

Post by HanSch »

I found out that Breeze Browser Pro can sort my raw files based on ISO setting, so this part of the question has been answered.
Kiril's suggestion to make automatic lens corrections would be a much larger step and very helpful.
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Post by MikeG »

I agree that lens correction would be wonderful.

So far I haven't thought of any thing else of significance.

Mike.
JML

Post by JML »

Instead of the camera default setting or ISO settings why not have any number of user named settings which users could employ for whatever purpose. People could desire more than one setting for base ISO value (or any other ISO) depending on different scenes or exposure levels or whatever purpose.
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Actually the feature for creating special settings is already available. You can create special settings by saving them as wfl files. The wfl files can include raw settings as well as any other transformations you want to add. The settings can be applied using File/Open, the workflow window or from history.

The camera default setting allows you to set a default for a particular camera. This setting is used automatically whane there is no higher-priority setting. You can also reset to the camera default from the raw dialog.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
lenmerkel

Post by lenmerkel »

How about raw dialog default sharpening & noise settings based on ISO?
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

What I think Kiril is pointing to is that workflow/sidecar files can be easily used to process RAW differently depending on ISO. It does not automatically detect ISO, but it's almost as easy. What you can do is to process a few RAW files, shot at differnt ISO, first, using different but typical noise reduction/sharpening settings for each ISO. Then, when there is another RAW file to be processed, you could e.g. right click on the image in the browser, then choose 'Open Image and Apply Workflow' then 'Apply Selected worflow file' and choose the standard workflow for this ISO settings. The RAW file will be processed according to this workflow settings, bypassing the RAW dialog window.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how to open a RAW file an apply the RAW settings specified in a specific workflow but not yet associated with this RAW file, but still open it in the RAW dialog for further adjustments.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

I just complained about not being able to apply an arbitrary workflow to a RAW file while still being able to open it in RAW dialog. There is a way already, a bit indirect.

Open a Workflow file in the workflow window, drop the RAW file(s) there, and double click on the RAW widget to adjust the settings. If you choose 'Selected Images' you could do it one image at the time. The downside is that the resulting images must be saved as files.

Which leads me to a question? Would it make sense to have workflow Output option which would open the processed images rather than save them? That would go against full automation philosophy of workflows, but I think it can be quite useful at times.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

If your intent is to open raw images so you can manipulate them further in PW but apply a particular raw workflow to them, there is another way to do it as well:

1. Open a raw image using the workflow you want. Go to History, right click on the image and select "Apply Workflow..."

2 Choose the raw images you want to apply the workflow to.

They will be opened in Picture Window.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color