New Depth of Field Calculator

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

New Depth of Field Calculator

Post by jsachs »

Happy New Year!

I have been working on a greatly improved version of the depth of field calculator with versions for both Windows and Android (see screen shot below). It comes with a quick start and full reference manual including an extensive diatribe on depth of field. If anyone would like to try a beta of the Windows version, please send me an email (jsachs@dl-c.com) and I will send you a link to the installer. The Android version is also available as a sideload - for more information on sideloading, Google "Android sideload".
DoF Screen Shot
DoF Screen Shot
DoF.jpg (45.41 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Re: New Depth of Field Calculator

Post by jsachs »

The new depth of field calculator has been released (both Windows and Android) -- for more information, see http://www.dl-c.com/DoF
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
couman

Post by couman »

Jonathan,
I’ve had the Windows version of DoF for several days and have been exploring its operation with two different cameras. Today, I was looking at some different camera settings when the distance scale shifted to extremely low values. At that point, I was unable to change distance and eventually the scale completely disappeared – only the vertical lines remained. I tried uninstalling the program and downloading a fresh copy, but apparently the previous data was stored someplace. Suggestions?
Bob Coutant
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I am adding a command to the next version to reset the scales if you happen to mess them up.

In the meantime, you can zoom the distance scale out by holding the right mouse button down while you drag in a downward direction in the rightmost third of the distance scale. This will compress the scale and make it easier to select larger values. To select larger distances, just keep clicking near to top of the scale and it should gradually scroll back up.

If all else fails, close DoF, go into the folder containing DoF.txt (see the reference manual for more information on this), make a backup copy of it in case you mess it up, and carefully change the settings as follows: set maxblur to 40.0, near to 2000, focus_at to 4000, far to 6000, near_limit to 4000, far_limit to 6000 - or just replace the beginning of the file up to but not including the line that starts with ncameras with:

DoF 1.0
f_stop_increment 1
focal_length 25.00
teleconverter 1.00000
f_stop 4.00000
blur_threshold 1.00000
units 5
macro_units 0
snap 1
maxblur 37.60
fl_zoom 32.00
fov_zoom 5.00
blur_zoom 19.61
near 1875.53
focus_at 2000.00
far 2142.16
near_limit 980.00
far_limit 1450.00
blur_distance 14000.00
fov 100.00
ni 5
mode 0
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
couman

Post by couman »

Thank you
Bob Coutant
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Bob,

New version just posted for both Windows and Android which has a new Reset Scales command at the bottom of the ? menu.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Jonathan,

I have installed DoF for Android on my Samsung S2.
According to the Screenshot the button for changing units should be right of the "etc" Button, but the S2 runs out of screen realestate ..
The "etc" button is the most right one visible, so no chance for me now to change units.
Screenshot_2015-01-20-18-42-00-1.png
Screenshot_2015-01-20-18-42-00-1.png (44.24 KiB) Viewed 7499 times

Edit: Screenshot added
Dieter Mayr
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Dieter,

I was able to reproduce this problem using the Android emulator - I have uploaded a new version to the Google Play store which has smaller icons for phones with lower resolution which should work better. It should be available within a few hours and show up as version 4.0.5.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Thanks, Jonathan, excellent service als always!
I will check it out tomorrow morning.
Dieter Mayr
couman

Post by couman »

Thanks, Jonathan.
When I tried to make changes to the dof.txt file (and its backup) the file(s) consisted of only one line of data -- apparently whatever I had done really messed up. I've now removed everything I can find pertaining to the DoF program and will start again from scratch.
Bob Coutant