Color shifts between PW Browser and PW Work Space?

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Color shifts between PW Browser and PW Work Space?

Post by davidh »

There seems to be a shift in some colors in the images in the PW browser as compared to the images in the PW workspace. For example some of the yellows in an image in the workspace tend to be a little reddish in the PW browser image. All of the shifted colors are in gamut. I would not mind the difference, but the problem is that in the prints those shifted colors are very much similar to the those in the PW browser instead of the PW workspace. What is wrong? This way I can judge how the image comes out in the print only from its small version in the PW browser after saving it. Monitor is profiled correctly.
Sometimes there seems to be a small virtual color shift between image and its copy or preview when either one is zoomed in or out a lot, but this is not the case.

CM settings: Icms,
Working Color Space - Adobe RGB,
I work only with TIFs generated from NEFs in PWP.
Windows and Printer driver CM disabled

Any idea? Thanks.
David
jsachs

Re: Color shifts between PW Browser and PW Work Space?

Post by jsachs »

I believe that thumbnails in the browser (and elsewhere) are not color-managed.

Differences between prints and on-screen image are probably due to different white points - either in the profiles or in the color of the light you are viewing the prints by, but there should be no direct connection between how un-managed thumbnails look and how prints look.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
couman

Post by couman »

Richard Beal created this handy image to tell you if a particular image viewing application is color managed. When viewed in the PWP (v 3.5) browser, the background is blue but changes to green in the PWP working space.

Bob Coutant
davidh

Post by davidh »

I think I have found what caused the visible difference difference between the image and its thumbnail. The input image profile was Chrome 2000 D65, the Working Color Space is Adobe RGB. Originally, when I opened the image, I just confirmed the profile conversion to the Working Color Space in the Confirm Profile Conversion dialog. Only after I used the transformation Change Color Profile with the option "Change Image Data and Profile Setting" instead, do the image and its thumbnail look alike. Or rather does the image look like its CM unmanaged thumbnail and consequently the print looks like the image (and its thumbail :)).
David