getting a tablet

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

getting a tablet

Post by davidh »

I am considering getting a tablet for occassional detailed work like retouching I am not able to achieve satisfactorily with the mouse. I do not mind PWP does not support features like pressure, tilt etc. as I do not think I might make use of them and I would disable them anyway. I just need it to be solid and precise. Any recomendations, say up to the price of Wacom Intuos or something similar between amateur and pro? Is there a solid and precise product for such a price at all? Thanks for suggestions.

David
HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

Re: getting a tablet

Post by HanSch »

I've been using a Wacom Graphire 2 tablet until it broke, and then changed to a Graphire 3. They are very similar. I find it a lot more comfortable and precise than using a mouse.
The Intuos tablets are larger (and more expensive), but I don't feel that I need more space than the approx. A5 size effective area of the Graphire tablets.
Be prepared to change some settings if you are using Windows 7; there has been a topic about this some time ago. The default Windows 7 settings that affect the tablet will drive you crazy. W-XP was fine.
HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

Post by HanSch »

I just found out that the complete Graphire line has been discontinued and that the Intuos tablets have replaced them.
Wat is Intuos Pro now was Intuos some years ago.
What hasn't changed is the difference between using a mouse and using a Wacom tablet, I suppose ;-)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Han, thanks for the info. Since I expect only an occasional use of a tablet, the Intuous line might get discontinued as well before an occasion arises. :)
David