Vibrance vs. Saturation and PWP's Color Correct transform

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Vibrance vs. Saturation and PWP's Color Correct transform

Post by den »

Bruce... ...and interested Others:

The reference SkinColors image previously posted and its use with the Mask Tool - Color Range feature and the Saturation transform in HSV mode is described here: "Vibrance vs. Saturation and PWP's Saturation transform": http://www.dl-c.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=594

Used in the manner described, it can provide an uniform saturation change in the HSV-H,S plane [color hexagon or color wheel] while at the same time protecting SkinColors and High saturations... ...for example:
eVibrance_HSV-Saturation_Xform.jpg
eVibrance_HSV-Saturation_Xform.jpg (47.18 KiB) Viewed 2629 times
...However... for a quick straight forward approach, the Color Correct transform with the purposed preset can also provide vibrance [protect SkinColors and High saturations] inspite of its lack of uniformity. Sometimes its lack is a preference. For example, if the Preview image's sky is too Blue [HSV-H = 66.7%], its arrow can be shortened as well as the adjoining Aqua [HSV-H = 58.3%] and Purple [HSV-H = 75%] hue arrows... ...and more SkinColor 'blocking' control points can be readily added... ...all are changes that can 'customize' the HSV-H,S color hexagon to a preference for a specific image... ...for comparison with the Saturation transform illustration, here is an illustration of the suggested vibrance ColorCorrect preset:
fVibrance_HSV-ClrCorrect_Xform.jpg
fVibrance_HSV-ClrCorrect_Xform.jpg (48.11 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Again... ...for most photo realistic images, the lack of an uniformly applied saturation change is not readily apparant and provisions for 'artistic' control for specific colors are available.

Thanks to Bruce Lindbloom for the use of his test image at: http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.htm ... mages.html

Ask if there are questions... ...perhaps some thought should be given to understanding the question as well as than the answer... ;-)
JimK
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon F5

Post by JimK »

Den,

I'm taking my time trying to understand all this and need to practice on some of photos before I can ask meaningful questions. I do so like all of your expertise and unselfishness.

Thank You!

Jim
artifex
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: SONY A700

Post by artifex »

Hello, Den
I read and apply all your posts since several years and that has allowed me to do as well progress than I am very grateful to you of all these tutorials that you take the effort to write. As JimK I try to apply your advices at once, but I must initially translate them in my language to be certain to interpret exactly your suggestions. Then, that takes more time to me than with others and when I have questions, faster users than me already posed.
Sorry for my funny english.
Still Thanks for your pedagogy.
Andre(w)