Color of tool bars

Moderator: jsachs

Jo Irps
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D850, Nikon Z7

Color of tool bars

Post by Jo Irps »

After been hooked on PWP 7 for many years (since 3.5) I am now getting to the grips of PWP 8.
I like to edit my pictures on the monitor with a dark surface, i.e. with a black border color set in preferences, where one can judge the colors best. The one item which in my opinion is destructing this on the PWP 8 surface are the white tool bars on top. Is there a way to turn the tool bars to a darker color, black or deep gray, as almost all other photo editors are doing ourdays. That indeed would also have a more uptodate look.
jsachs

Re: Color of tool bars

Post by jsachs »

Not sure what you mean by tool bars as they are already gray -- do you mean the area just above the image where the caption is displayed?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Jo Irps

Post by Jo Irps »

Yes, on "Show Image Only, I mean those 2 top bars (Picture Windows pro 8.0.126) and (File, Edit, Transformation, etc) and the bottom one where the scale buttons are.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Just so we are on the same page with Windows terminology...

The bar with File/Edit/... is called the main Menu bar which is normally drawn by Windows. Its default color is defined by the Windows theme you have selected. It is apparently possible within an application to override the default colors that come from the current Windows theme, but it is surprisingly complicated to do so. If I can find some simple sample code I can use, I may try it.

The area next to the zoom buttons is a caption bar and, unlike the menu bar, it is something I control directly, so I could quite easily make it the same color as the image borders and set the caption text to some contrasting color.

Tool bars are horizontal, vertical or rectangular groups of icon buttons you can click.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Jo Irps

Post by Jo Irps »

Thanks to explain the terminology of those bars, maybe I did not read the Help files carefully enough to understand the terminology.
I appreciate very much to look into the possibility of changing the color of those bars
As I do my Raw conversions in Capture One, I am used to a total darkend working surface, there is no white bar to distract the processing of the capture.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I was able to change the caption color to match the image border color for the next release, but changing the color of the menu bar is very complicated and I have not found code I can use to do this so it will have to wait until something turns up.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color